Applying for a house

Who can apply for a house?

You can apply for a house with Cordale Housing Association if you are at least 16 years old.

How do I apply for a house with Cordale Housing Association?

You contact our office to request an application pack. Our Housing Services staff can help you to complete your application form at our office. If you are unable to attend our office because of a disability or ill health, we can come to your home to help you complete your application form (subject to travel distance). Please call our office on 01389 721216 to make an appointment or alternatively we can assist you over the telephone.

Which area, size and type of house can I apply for?

We generally allocate house sizes according to the number of people in the household.  You can choose the type of house you wish to be considered for e.g. tenement flat lower.  The higher the demand for a house type, the longer you will have to wait before you will be offered suitable housing.

What happens next?

When we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge your application the same day we receive it
  • assess your application within 5 working days
  • request a tenancy reference if applicable
  • write to you if further information is require to support your application
  • point your application in line with our Allocations Policy
  • write to you with information on your points level and the position on our housing list.

What can I get points for?

  • Health needs
  • Overcrowding
  • Underoccupation
  • Living in unsatisfactory housing conditions
  • Sharing amenities
  • No permanent accommodation
  • Social/community/family support
  • Housing circumstances
  • Relationship breakdown
  • Travel to work
  • Families in tenemental/multi-storey properties

How long will I have to wait?

This depends on:

  • your points and your position on the housing list
  • the houses available of your choice of house type.

Renton is a very popular area in which to live. We have a very high demand for our houses but have usually only very limited turnover. Given this, it could be some time before we are able to make you an offer.

What if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change, you must let us know immediately by contacting our office on 01389 721216. Or you can download a change in circumstances form.

We will review your application at least once a year to ensure your information is correct and that you are still interested in housing with Cordale Housing Association.


Where do I get more information?

You can download the full policy from our downloads section. If you need more information or advice, please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff at our office.

Complaints and appeals

We endeavor to operate our allocation system in a consistent and demonstrably fair way. However we also have clear procedures for dealing with appeals or complaints arising from the allocations process. For full details of the Complaints Policy and Procedure you can look at the complaints section in our website or you can also contact us by telephone, email or letter and ask for a copy of the policy and procedure to be sent to you.