Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working aged people who are either out of work or on a low income. It will replace the following existing benefits:

• Housing Benefit
• Income Support
• Employment & Support Allowance
• Jobseekers Allowance
• Working & Child Tax Credits
• Carers Allowance

It will be paid monthly in arrears into a bank, building society or credit union account to new claimants and people who have had a change of circumstances. The majority of claims will be made online. Apply now www.gov.uk/universal-credit/howtoclaim.

We have included a video link below which shows the service as of June 2017. Changes and additions will be made over time but the general service will remain the same.

This video contains the whole playlist explaining Universal Credit's online services, which you can view in bite sized chunks by clicking here

Click here to view the Universal Credit: New Choices Leaflet.

What does Universal Credit mean for you?

How will you manage while you wait for your first payment?

It can take several weeks for you to receive your first payment. If you think you will have financial difficulty while you wait, you may be entitled to an advance payment until your claim is assessed. You will have to pay it back from your future monthly payments.

To request a hardship payment, all the Universal Credit Helpline on 01345 600 0723, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Scottish Welfare Fund You can also apply to your local council for a crisis grant. Apply now by visiting


Food Parcels Cordale can arrange for you to visit a local foodbank. Speak with your Housing Officer who will arrange this for you or find your local foodbank www.trusselltrust.org/get-help/find-a-foodbank

How will you pay your rent?

Paying rent is the most important part of your Tenancy and it is essential that you pay your rent on time and in full.

The preferred method of paying rent is by direct debit and you can pay your rent by direct debit on the same day Universal Credit is paid into your bank account each month. Call our customer services team and set up yours today.

There are various ways to pay your rent. For more details click here

If you have rent arrears, it is important to speak with your Housing Officer who will help you agree an affordable payment plan. To find out who your Housing Officer is please call Customer Services on 0800 678 1228

More information can also be found in our Preventing Rent Arrears & Legal Action leaflet by clicking here

Money, Debt and Benefit Advice

To help you manage switching to a monthly budget, Cordale can arrange for you to have free, confidential advice about money, debt and benefits. This will help you manage your Universal Credit payments and will assist if you have debts. Speak with your Housing Officer who will arrange this for you.


Useful Resources and Downloads

Here are some links to other useful websites